Dam Survey Dashboard Project for Salt Lake Public Utilities
Salt Lake Public Utilities are collecting data of the dams around Salt Lake Valley areas (Red Butte Dam, Little Cottonwood Dam, Big Cottonwood Dam). The objective of this project is to create a real-time ArcGIS Online application dashboard to display the newest survey data of selected dams from Salt Lake Public Utilities. By presenting the application dashboard the client can easily access the newest data information for the selected dams with location and labels. This application is for internal use only.
1. Create an empty feature class based on survey form template.
2. Identify the location and name of dams required for the dashboard.
Location information will be delivered from client’s email with latitude and longitude.
Modify the survey form from Survey123 for ArcGIS to meet the client’s requirements.
Add or delete survey questions from the template form
Change the input type of survey questions.
3. Upload dam info that the surveyor filled in the survey to Salt Lake Public Utilities’ ArcGIS server.
Basic information includes dam water level, inspection time, dam structure, etc.
Further information includes dam inspection work type, dam leakage, labor hours, etc.
Add different drop down menu
Create subsection for the different drop-down menu when the certain choice is checked during the surveying process.
4. Create a dashboard using Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS for that shows the newest data collected from surveyor using the survey form created from Survey123.
Use up-to-date information function in the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS to add new dams in the ArcGIS Online map (map will be created by the student that determinating how data displayed and allow the user to view historical data as well).
Link server that published survey data from Survey123 and dashboard for ArcGIS Online to add survey data information for each dam.
Add the ArcGIS Online map to the operation dashboard for ArcGIS.
Add multiple operation functions in operation dashboard for ArcGIS based on the client’s requirements.
This is a final demo template for dashboard display, left part shows the Red Butte Dam water elevation over time, the right map shows the 5 different dam with newest data labeled with gauge height (upper label) and elevation (lower label).
Main skills involved in this project:
Structured Query Language (SQL): use basic SQL functions to filter the suitable data for this project in ArcGIS Online
Communication Skills: This project is presenting in front of GIS analyst from different companies and the general public
Project Design: I am working on this project individually and I am responsible for designing the project's workflow and conducting the project schedule in time.
This is a capstone course project, during the process of this project I had the opportunities to meet with the client from GIS industrial and finish a GIS project as my client's requirements with the GIS skills I learned from my past courses of my MSGIS program..
At the end of this course, I will be doing a formal presentation in front of instructor and my client from Salt Lake City Public Utilities as well as other clients for my classmates and other guests from GIS industry. This requires me to develop a strong oral and written communication skills. A final written report will also be delivered to my client.
In order to complete this course successfully, I need to:
1. Define the general goal and objectives of this individual project after meeting with my client and develop a professional statement of work signed by my client and myself.
2. Search and prepare the data for my project from online sources and my client (oral or email)
3. Provide different solutions when the challenges show up during the process of my project.
4. Apply my GIS data analysis skills and basic programming skills as well as cartography skills properly for my project.
5. Provide suggestions and advice for my client with future concerns involved in my project.